Umoja equips young people to succeed in college and confidently claim their future.
We do this by building a web of dynamic relationships that brings together schools, families and community partners to bridge the gap between the talents and ambitions of low-income youth and the resources they need to thrive.
Umoja believes that education is the great equalizer. If we as a community are serious about Chicago standing as a competitive global city, then we must be equally serious about educating each and every one of our young people in every Chicago neighborhood.
Umoja's Key Beliefs
Umoja is committed to:
- A holistic youth-centered model
- Purposeful relationships with young people
- Improving adult knowledge and skills as a key lever in increasing student outcomes
- Thought leadership and support to principals, counselors and teachers
- High expectations for students, teachers and administrators
- Measurable outcomes
- Recruiting and retaining high quality staff and volunteers
- Engaging the business community in support of young people and schools